Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Twitter: What Alfred Hitchcock really meant

I admit that I'm a little afraid to use Twitter.
On Facebook, I'll post anything from song lyrics, to angry rants, to hitting up my friends for extra forged documents for mafia exploits.
But every time I go to post something on Twitter. I with my mouse poised on the button with my meager piece of news and I hear Steve Vogelsang whispering in my ear "Why are you telling me this now?" I'm a pushover when it comes to the Vogelsang's in my head- and I fold to the idea that there's probably somebody better informed and more qualified to tweet my tweet, and probably in less characters, and probably with a more legible homepage and a more attractive profile picture.

Being in Creative Communications has given me a haunting awareness that the Internet (especially Twitter) as my presence of the world's stage. For a student like me who isn't physically published, it's really the only way I exist in my chosen field.
As someone with little resources it's the cheapest way I can promote myself, and every lofty lamentation seems like a strike against my professionalism.

Who's on my Twitter right now? Aside from my chief Twitter joy in life: following Cobra Commander, the first day I got it, I added only CreComm students, Comedians and every Food Network Chef (That's almost a Facebook profile in itself).
After adding my Food Network heros I was promptly followed by local foodies chefs and restaurant owners galore, thinking. "Damn, this girl must really know her stuff. We better keep our eye on this culinary bombshell." And now I feel like I'm disappointing them with tweets signaling my blog posts.Al

I feel a little better using Facebook, where I know if somebody has added me, they inexplicably want to creep through pictures of me as a South Park character and which disney princess I'm most similar to- Belle by the way-  at least I know I'm not disappointing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment