Thursday, October 21, 2010

These Crazy Kids and Their Social Revolutions


Just look at that fresh faced lad
     http://prpost.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/zuckerberg-hearst-and-hollywood-pr-lessons-learned-from-the-past/


Way back when, agaisnt the advice of concerned friends and family, I made the pilgrimage to see The Social Network. The main issue with the movie, is not in excecution, but the mere fact that the movie exists at all.
Frankly a lot of people were reluctantly joining because they were finding it difficult to keep their social and business lives afloat without an online profile- an innocence that is still mourned by a large amount of the population. South Park capitalized on this going-against-the-grain-goodness in their "You Have 0 Friends" episode- check the clip at the bottom.

People who had barely typed in their likes and disklikes, and were contemplating on joining applications with the promise of a free pig, saw the commercial and threw up their hands in protest. That's it! I can no longer contribute Facebook's evil regime. (they said, finger poised on the mouse in mid-friend accept) I will not succumb to a miltarist future that doesn't even involve evil robots-WASTE.

NOT WASTE I say! From a utilitarian persepctive the movie changes nothing.
In addition, the only people interested in seeing the movie were too invested in Facebook to worry about whether or not Zuckerberg came off like a jerk. Personally I think it was a bit of a toss-up. On one hand, they ended with the whole" you're not an asshole, you're just trying so hard to be" to cast him under the glow of ironically undersocialized nerd craving acceptance and admiration through acheivment.- did it work? I dunno, seemed like a last ditch attempt at character development instead of gradually working it into the movie. But I guess it's better than starting the movie with a scene of him sitting at his computer and being approached by his roomate saying: Say there Zuckerberg, on your computer again I see- my you don't get out much do you. Zuckerberg: Shut up, I hate you. Roomate exits, Zuckerberg *whisper*-Why won't you loove me?

Oh well., basically after the movie all I could think about were the two row-bros doing calisthenics and juggling elephants, the whole scene flooded in strawberry jam. *Zuckerberg sounds WAY to much like Smuckers, risking that the audience members should lose focus halfway into the movie as their mind turns to thoughts of toast.

Oh wait, I nearly forgot the implied other hand that comes with the aforementioned "on one hand". The other hand was how callously he treated his best friend- my understanding was that he barely cared about money so depleting more of his shares would have advanced Facebook in the way he desired while keeping his only friendship moderately intact. That can be attributed to nothing but pure asshole-dom.

But everyone fails now and again, all in all it seemed like his heart was in the right place.

In Zuckerberg, Hearst and Hollywood: PR Lessons Learned From the Past Zuckerberg mostly addresses inconsistencies only with the overall mood of the film. That's narrative though- a story can exist stretched out over time and seem like a series of insignificant events but when condensed creates a more saturated picture. As for the whole kissing babies little league strategy, I think we're all giving a collective "What-ev's" to the timing, It's hilariously transparent no matter how removed from the event. If Hitler was alive and tomorow there was a tabloid article featuring a picture of him petting a dog the caption would read: Hell's sweetheart attempting to improve his image by starting an animal hospital." - Side note: How hilarious would it be if some notorious figure started up a Teddy Bear Hospital  to improve his image. It would be like: send us your leaky stuffed animals and have it sewn up George Bush himself. And as a little souvenir, when injected with a plant-based dye and magnified 100X the thread is autographed! Now THAT'S Republican healthcare at its finest...hahahahaha

Interview and Private Life of Mark Zuckerberg



Did you see that guy on the skateboard- That's not conventional office behavior!!
These crazy kids and their social revolutions.

YOU HAVE 0 FRIENDS


I feel like I have less friends already

10 comments:

  1. I love the South Park Facebook episode haha.

    I also don't understand why the movie exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What- how on earth did you comment so fast lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facebook didn't need a movie, I honestly don't think it affects people who already use the sight. The only people who may decide whether or not to become members based on the movie are older folks.

    It's just a cash grab, like everything else in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Consider that it isn't a cash grab, but an attempt at toppling a giant. A failed attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the movie wasn't hard to swallow but didn't have much nutritional value. No one will remember it next year. Because we'll be on to the next revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it didn't need to be done, but Fincher definitely made a stylish movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I respectfully disagree, my lovelies. I think The Social Network is a very important movie and I'm glad it was made! Social media is like everything these days, duh girlfriends (and boyfriends?)! *chomps gum loudly in a valley-girl fashion*

    Anywhoo, your post was hilarious, Brea! You have such an awesome sense of humor, I love it!

    Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny South Park episode. I have a confession to make: I didn't create my Facebook page; somebody else did it for me. I honestly didn't know what the big deal was when I first heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely stated Chuka. Who can deny it...facebook exists, and its founder has enough spare change to make a donation of 100 million. This is all much bigger than my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait a sec - what was that about a free pig? Ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete