Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Dawna Friesen is Twitter!

Dawna Friesen came to visit us gutterly CreCommers at the college today, and despite my respect for her, I felt like a few things were left unsaid. Should I say them? At the seminar I didn't want to waste her important time with the fanciful musings of a student/I was just too chicken to speak up. But at the same time, even on this crappy blog that nobody reads, I don't want to undermine the fact that she took the time to speak to us, even though I'm only answering the questions she asked.

Ok I can't stand it anymore.

Dawna Friesen is Twitter.
Twitter is essentially a virtual news anchor. Her news desk is just like the feed. A couple of people were shot in the North End this weekend, followed by a few notes and A VIRTUAL LINK TO THE ACTUAL STORY- very similar to cutting to footage of a correspondent that has the larger picture details isn't it?
And its not like our actual news is much less cluttered with whatever-the-hell Lindsay Lohan is doing than Twitter is anyway.
And, if people are watching her on the news, are they any more likely to wait for what the correspondent has to say if her lead-up wasn't to their interest?
God I hate it when I become that which I despise...A weekly activity on this end.

Ok, now I'm going to refute my own beautifully executed metaphor...
I kind of agree with Dawna, Twitter is lame, and it does to a certain degree start filtering the world back into slots of black and white.
But does it destroy our ability to create narrative?
Impossible!

Storytelling is innate. Spinning our own lives into a story where we are the main character fuels our very existence. Look at society, we still our oldest stories, English majors are even taught to read middle english to preserve their integrity.
Technology can't be the antidote to humanity. If it is, than why instead of creating hundred-story cylindrical farms are we investing all of our resources into making cellphones you can fit into a hollowed out molar?
Therefore technology is only an extension of humanity giving us massive battery power to magnify the traits we already have.
Take blogging for instance. It turns even the most reclusive nerd into the grand director of their own life story. Even now, as I type, am I not imposing my own narrative of an event that was meant to be a purely logical discussion. -There goes those U of W Rhetoric classes again... Is using narrative in a news story unbiased blah blah- that's not really the point- I just wanted to hats off To Tristan and Dave Hollier my Brian Turner buds *throws hat*- That should keep the Brian Turner- reminiscence away for awhile.

Anyway, now everyone who was wondering what I thought about the questions Ms Friesen raised during the presentation instead of paying attention to said presentation, knows.

Thanks again for your time Ms Friesen- if for whatever reason you happen to be reading this.

3 comments:

  1. Evidently I need to comment, so you know that people read your blog. I come here b/c I'm my imagination challenged. Today it is with the reduction of the size of cellphones so that they might fit into hollowed out molars. But more than that, I come here to read your reflection on some shard experience...like our guest today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Dawna's main point was the importance of storytelling.
    Twitter, Facebook, magazines, television ... all tools to tell stories. The choice of tool affects the kind of story we tell.
    That's a good thing about Twitter: New tool, new kinds of stories.
    Plus, we can still use all the other tools.

    ReplyDelete