Sunday, September 2, 2012

Lanfuest Quest and My Little Pony


Recently I was forwarded the opportunity to audition to voice for the cartoon series of the Anime Lanfuest Quest. Those who know me are probably wondering if I have all my limbs right now, because they know I would have mailed them an arm and a leg for the opportunity to achieve one of my greatest dreams. The auditions only ran two weeks, and I was alerted at the end of the first that I could send in my performance resume and they might slot me an audition. So either my resume was so resoundingly unimpressive that it somehow conveyed that I probably couldn't speak coherently enough to animate around, or they had already slotted their auditions far in advance. Oh well.



Lanfuest Quest is a French graphic novel set in a fantasy realm where everyone has a single power that can only be used in the presence of a sage (the equivalent of a studied magician in their world).
Lanfuest was apparently a a blacksmith who while handling an aristocrats sword, magically gained the ability to use any power and embarks on some manner of quest to learn about the phenomenon.

Apparently his adversary is some manner of evil pirate that has gained the same ability. (Why not, I like a good magical showdown)

As with pretty much every anime ever, this basic idea is made awesomer through piles of filth and gore. The version that DACAPO is producing will apparently be very toned down and aimed toward children.

This is Cixi, the slut I wanted to audition to be


Now the question is, am I who can be described by: 

1. Being an ultimate advocator of animation as a form of adult geared entertainment and not a medium only for children

2. Being a hater of censorship and firm supporter of all artistic freedoms.

3. Being a cartoon super-fan who happens to love a little gore on the site.

ok with the common decision to file down anime's sharp edges to appeal to a child audience?

Surprisingly the answer is yes.

As much as the animation community seems to collectively hate Seth MacFarlene's collective works of Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show, we often disregard their immense contribution to dragging cartoons out of the sandbox, and into the adult eye. They also developed a completely new, non-plot based format that while being criticized as lazy (and rightfully so) has made huge influences to the formatting and pacing of new adult cartoons. 

Before this, you used to find a lot more cartoon-enthusiast-adults sitting around watching Spongebob waiting for the covert adult jokes that the writers frequently threw in to keep themselves from ending it all.



I've been told that the new My Little Pony is one of these such shows, hence the massive Bronie following- so immense that the show apparently added a character called "Derpy Hooves". 

Yeah this is Derpy Hooves. Is her bumstamp supposed to signify derp-dom?


If I have to tune in to watch Derpy Hooves's Shenanigans (evidently they are very derpy) to see some good animated programming, then I'm completely fine with that. 
As long as people are enjoying it, I'll turn on Spongebob and wait for a dirty joke.

3 comments: